Your eyes play a major role in how others interpret your personality and mood. Unfortunately, repetitive facial expressions and aging can result in eyes that deliver a false message. Aging can affect your skin’s elasticity, resulting in drooping eyelids and a tired or sad appearance.
Also, as we smile, frown, laugh, and squint at our smartphones, unwanted creases can appear around our eyes. Because our eyes are often the first impression we make, eyelid surgery is one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures.
Dr. Joshua Hyman is a double board-certified plastic surgeon who has helped many patients achieve a more alert, youthful appearance through cosmetic eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) and other facial plastic surgery procedures. Please call us today at 212-517-5157 for a free consultation.
Benefits of Eyelid Surgery
Since your eyes can affect your interactions with others, improving this area of your face can make a major difference in how people perceive you. Eyelid surgery patients often report increased self-confidence as a result of their lifted, refreshed eye area as well. Blepharoplasty can:
- Correct puffiness
- Smooth wrinkles
- Reduce the appearance of hollows
- Eliminate under-eye bags
- Eliminate excess skin
- Reduce dark under-eye circles
- Result in a broader visual field
Eyelid Surgery Procedure
Eyelid surgery can involve the upper eyelid, lower eyelid, or both. Dr. Hyman will assess your eye area and gather information about your treatment goals in order to determine the best approach for you.
- Lower Eyelid Surgery - If your concerns are concentrated under your eyes, a lower eyelid surgery may be the best option. Dr. Hyman will make an incision along your lower lash line or inside your eyelid to address under-eye bags, sagging skin, and puffiness due to herniated fat. If necessary, he may also tighten your lower eyelid muscle.
- Upper Eyelid Surgery - Issues with the upper eyelid, like sagging, drooping, and wrinkling, can cause you to look tired and older than you feel. With a discreet incision on your eyelid’s natural crease, Dr. Hyman can remove the skin and tissue causing the unwanted conditions. With these changes and muscle adjustments, you can achieve a brighter, more alert appearance.
- Combining Surgeries - A blepharoplasty can be done as a singular surgery or may be combined with a facelift or browlift for comprehensive facial rejuvenation. If you have sagging skin or wrinkles in other areas of your face, discuss your concerns with Dr. Hyman to see if combining surgeries is a good option for you.
Eyelid Surgery Recovery
Dr. Hyman will provide you with detailed post-surgery instructions. As part of your recovery, you will apply cold compresses to mitigate swelling and bruising. Elevating your head, protecting your eyes from sunlight, and allowing your eyes to rest are also important components of a smooth recovery.
The healing process will take 2 to 4 weeks, with incision lines continuing to fade over the next several months. Within a month or two, you will enjoy the full results of the procedure.
Begin My Blepharoplasty Journey
Dr. Hyman serves patients in New York City, Manhattan, and the nearby areas. He is happy to meet you in person for a free consultation and answer any questions you might have about eyelid surgery and other procedures that enhance the appearance of your face. Please call us at 212-517-5157.