Do You Like Your Nose?
Our confidence plays a key role in how we interact with our environment in today’s world and our facial features play a very important role in giving us this confidence. There are times, however, when we are not satisfied with certain features of our faces and wish to change them using cosmetic procedures.
These changes in our facial features are caused by a number of different factors such as age, genetics, and even traumatic accidents. The change to our appearance can dampen our spirits by spoiling the way we look to others. Through the power of cosmetic surgery, however, you can improve the features you aren’t satisfied with and achieve the look you have always wanted.
One of the most common cosmetic procedures people undergo is a nose job. This procedure is also known as Rhinoplasty and is performed to correct and reconstruct the structure of your nose.
What Is Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure that helps to correct the shape and size of a person’s nose; the correction helps in bringing the nose into perfect symmetry with the rest of the face and is also known to improve the nose’s functionality. This surgery can be a worthwhile and life-changing procedure, and it improves the overall appearance of the face while making it look natural and more defined.
The Ideal Candidates for a Rhinoplasty
While any person who wishes to reshape their nose is eligible to get a Rhinoplasty, you will need be in good general health and be free from any serious health conditions in order to be considered for the surgery. If you have a bleeding disorder, suffer from heart problems, or you’re prone to infection, you may not be eligible for the procedure.
The Benefits of Rhinoplasty
By reshaping the nasal structures, the surgeon can help achieve one or more of the following:
1. Straighten an uneven and curved nose.
2. Even a protruding bump on the bridge of the nose.
3. Narrow down a wide nose.
4. Decrease the size of a nose.
5. Correct defects caused at birth or due to injury.
6. Correct breathing problems.
How To Prepare For Rhinoplasty?
You should consult an experienced surgeon to get all the details of the procedure before you decide to give Rhinoplasty a chance. To be a good candidate for the procedure, you must meet the following requirements:
1. You will need to avoid certain medications such as aspirin or ibuprofen for two weeks before and after surgery.
2. If you smoke, you will need to stop smoking.
3. Have reasonable expectations about the outcome of the procedure.
After you have decided to undergo the procedure, your doctor will let you know the full details regarding the process. He will also review your medical history and perform a physical examination.
A history of nasal obstruction, surgeries, and medications taken will be reviewed and several tests will be conducted to determine the changes that need to be made and how your physical features may affect the results.
Types Of Rhinoplasty
Depending on the desired changes and the unique anatomy of a patient, the technique used will be different. Your surgeon will utilize any one of the following techniques:
• Open Rhinoplasty – For an open rhinoplasty, incisions are made below the nostrils. The resulting scars are well hidden in the natural contours of the nose and are thus, inconspicuous. This technique gives your surgeon more access to the nose, thus allowing him to make changes and fashion the nose into the shape as desired. It is used for patients who need more extensive reshaping.
• Closed Rhinoplasty – During a closed rhinoplasty, your surgeon will make incisions inside the nostril, limiting the occurrence of post-surgical marks. This is used when only minor changes are required to reach the desired improvements. This method is not suitable for extensive improvements.
Recovery After Rhinoplasty
For the first one to two weeks, it is common to experience some swelling and bruising. Dr. Hyman will recommend you not to take showers while wearing your nasal splint and detailed post-operative instructions to help facilitate the healing process.
Contact Our Office
Interested in improving the appearance of your nose with a rhinoplasty? Contact us to schedule an appointment with Dr. Joshua Hyman, a board-certified plastic surgeon with a tremendous amount of experience delivering excellent results to rhinoplasty patients.