If you are unhappy with the size, shape or symmetry of your breasts, double-board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Joshua B. Hyman can help you achieve a shapelier figure and improved confidence with breast augmentation surgery. With more than 15 years of experience helping thousands of patients attain elegant, natural-looking results, you can trust Dr. Hyman to deliver the highest level of quality and safety.
If you are considering breast augmentation, please contact us today by completing the form on this page or calling 212-517-5157 to schedule a free consultation. We proudly serve Manhattan, New York City and nearby areas of New York.
Learn more about breast augmentation below:
- What Is Breast Augmentation?
- Benefits of Breast Augmentation Surgery
- Am I a Good Candidate for Breast Enlargement?
- Your Customized Breast Enhancement Procedure
- Types of Breast Implants
- Sizing Your Breast Implants
- Breast Augmentation Incision Options
- Breast Implant Placement Options
- Breast Augmentation in Conjunction with Other Procedures
- Breast Augmentation Recovery
- Breast Implant Revision Surgery
- How Long Do Breast Implants Last?
- Why Choose Dr. Hyman?
- Call Today to Schedule Your Free Breast Augmentation Consultation
Breast augmentation is a surgical breast procedure in which breast implants and/or a fat transfer is used to improve the appearance of the breasts by increasing their size, improving their shape and/or correcting breast asymmetry. Depending on your unique situation, this procedure can provide breast volume that you have never had before, or restore volume lost during or after pregnancy or weight loss.
Breast augmentation can help you achieve fuller breasts and a more balanced figure. Our patients choose to undergo this procedure for a variety of personal reasons. Breast augmentation can:
- Increase the size of your breasts
- Improve breast shape
- Enhance your body contour
- Restore lost breast volume due to pregnancy, nursing or weight loss
- Correct breast asymmetry
- Reduce gaps between breasts
- Provide more pronounced cleavage
- Address missing or disfigured breasts after surgery or trauma
- Treat congenital abnormalities
In addition to the physical benefits of breast augmentation surgery, this procedure can also:
- Improve your body image and self esteem
- Increase your confidence while both dressed and undressed
- Improve your appearance in outfits and swimsuits
Almost everyone who would like to improve the size and shape of their breasts is a good candidate for breast augmentation. Regardless of your goals for the procedure, it’s important to have realistic expectations about what breast augmentation can accomplish and how it will affect your life. Dr. Hyman will explain every aspect of the procedure and evaluate your candidacy during your initial consultation.
Generally speaking, you may be an ideal candidate for breast augmentation if you:
- Are at least 18 years old for saline implants or 22 years old for silicone implants
- Are in good physical health
- Have enough natural breast issue to cover the implant
- Are not a heavy smoker
- Do not have diabetes or other serious medical condition
- Are not currently pregnant or breastfeeding
Your breast augmentation is a fully customized procedure. There are several factors that must be considered when designing your individualized plan, such as:
- The type of breast implant placed
- The breast size you would like to achieve
- Incision placement
- Implant placement
In addition to these aspects of your procedure, Dr. Hyman will discuss other considerations that can impact your breast augmentation, including:
- Your dimensions and breast tissue: Your body type, natural breast size and amount of present breast tissue will affect the style and size of breast implant that can best achieve your goals.
- Your lifestyle: If you lead an active, athletic lifestyle, it may be beneficial to choose a size that may be more comfortable and consistent with your athletic lifestyle.
- Pregnancy plans: The desire to have children in the future doesn’t rule out your breast augmentation candidacy.
These factors will be discussed during your initial consultation with Dr. Hyman. He will take time to understand your goals, answer your questions and address your concerns.
"I got exactly what I wanted, full natural-looking breasts!! Thank you Dr. Hyman and your staff for making it such an easy experience and for always answering my million and one questions." - Amanda, Yelp Review
Dr. Hyman offers a variety of breast implant options. He will help you determine which option is best suited for your unique needs and goals. Available options include:
- Saline: These types of implants are approved for patients at least 18 years old. They comprise silicone shells that are filled with a sterile saline (salt water) solution after placement. In the event of a rupture, the saline solution is absorbed naturally and safely by your body. This type of implant is typically less expensive than other options.
- Silicone: These types of breast implants are approved by the FDA for patients at least 22 years old. They are pre-filled with a thick silicone gel and their volume cannot be adjusted after placement. The thicker, cohesive filling looks and feels very similar to natural breast tissue.
- Gummy bear: This type of breast implant is made from a high-strength silicone gel. It is named after gummy bear candy due to its similar consistency. Much like a gummy bear, this type of breast implant can retain its shape, even if cut in half. This makes gummy bear implants less likely to break and leak, providing results that feel fuller and firmer.
- Fat transfer: This implant alternative utilizes fat that has been removed from one part of your body, such as the abdomen, buttocks or thighs. This process is safe, effective and causes very little scarring.
Dr. Hyman uses the Keller Funnel in breast augmentation surgery. The Keller Funnel is a device which helps to place implants into the chest pocket. The Keller Funnel requires a shorter incision and minimizes contact with the implant, thereby reducing the risk of infection and complications.
Determining the size of your breast implants is one of the most important decisions you’ll make when planning your breast augmentation. There are many factors to consider when choosing the breast implant size that is ideal for your goals. These factors include your:
- Desired breast size after surgery
- Chest, height and weight dimensions
- Current amount of natural breast tissue
- Skin elasticity
- Level of active, athletic lifestyle
Dr. Hyman will take time to discuss your desired outcome, review photographs and use sizers in the office to help determine what size is best for you.
Just as every patient is unique, every surgery is uniquely customized by Dr. Hyman to select the best type of implant, size, incision, and placement for your body and desired outcome.
Your choice of incision for breast enlargement affects the location and appearance of your scarring. Dr. Hyman offers two incision options:
- Inframammary incision: This incision is made in the crease beneath the breast, where the breast tissue meets the chest. The scar will be discreetly concealed underneath the breast and will lighten during the healing process.
- Peri-areolar incision: This incision is made around the areola. Throughout the course of healing, the scar will lighten and be effectively obscured by the color of the nipple area.
During your initial consultation, Dr. Hyman will discuss all of your options, including incision locations. He will answer your questions, address your concerns and recommend the approach that is best for you.
There are two primary implant placement options in breast augmentation surgery:
- Subglandular placement: The breast implant is placed above the chest muscle. This can be an appropriate option for patients with a slightly drooping breast appearance who are not having a breast lift in conjunction with breast augmentation.
- Submuscular placement: The breast implant is placed behind the chest muscle. This option is ideal for patients who have little natural breast tissue for adequate implant coverage.
Dr. Hyman is committed to helping you achieve the most attractive, natural-looking results possible. He will determine which placement option will deliver the best outcome for your body and goals.
You may have cosmetic concerns that you’d like to address that are not corrected by breast augmentation alone. Fortunately, Dr. Hyman can perform additional procedures in conjunction with your breast enlargement surgery to help you achieve the results you desire.
One of the most common procedures combined with breast augmentation is a breast lift. Although breast augmentation can improve the appearance of very slight sagging in some cases, instances of moderate to severe sagging require a breast lift to address this issue. Breast lifts elevate both the breast and the nipple to a more attractive position. By combining a breast lift with breast augmentation, you can achieve a more youthful, vibrant appearance.
Many women also choose to include breast augmentation in a comprehensive mommy makeover procedure. Mommy makeovers are versatile combination-treatments that incorporate a variety of breast and body procedures designed to restore your pre-baby figure.
We proudly offer financing options to assist with the cost of breast augmentation and other plastic surgery procedures.
Immediately following the procedure, your breasts may be swollen. You will be placed in a surgical bra (essentially a sports bra that opens in front) and an elastic band on your upper chest, if needed. You will recover in our private recovery room for one to two hours before being escorted home by a friend or family member. Dr. Hyman will see you three to five days later. You are able to shower after two to three days and there are no drains placed. You can return to light exercise in two weeks and full exercise at four weeks or as tolerated.
Dr. Hyman will likely recommend some breast massage techniques to help your chest soften and aid in healing. The scar is usually less than four centimeters when healed and sometimes silicone-based scar creams and lasers can be provided to facilitate healing when needed. We encourage you to get out of bed and walk as much as possible the first night, and try to resume regular activity the first post-operative day.
Dr. Hyman will place a strap/band on the upper aspects of your breasts after surgery. The purpose of this strap is to stabilize the breast implants for comfort as well as to hold them in the correct position after surgery. Most patients find this strap very comforting. There are some situations that Dr. Hyman will not use the strap after breast augmentation. The breast strap also helps to decrease swelling after the procedure.
Dr. Hyman frequently helps patients seeking breast revision surgery, most often revising the results of other breast surgeons. Many times, patients seek breast implant revision surgery to change the size of their implants, whether due to evolving aesthetic tastes or other reasons.
Whether you would like to change the size or type of your breast implant, Dr. Hyman will work closely with you to determine how to reach your desired outcome.
Although breast implants don’t have expiration dates, they are not intended to be life-long devices, nor are they FDA-approved for life. Modern silicone implants typically last well over 15 to 20 years, while saline implants should be exchanged every 10 years.
Your choice of surgeon will likely be the single most important decision you will make when choosing to undergo breast implant surgery. When you choose Dr. Hyman for your procedure, you can expect:
- Board-certified plastic surgeon: Dr. Hyman is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the American Board of Surgery. This distinction ensures you receive the highest level of precision, skill and safety in your plastic surgery procedure.
- Accredited Surgical facility: Dr. Hyman performs surgeries in our on-site, AAAASF- accredited ambulatory center. Accreditation by the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities ensures that your procedure will be performed in a facility that meets the highest standards of safety and comfort.
- History of success: A picture says a thousand words. We invite you to visit our before-and-after gallery to review Dr. Hyman’s world-class results for yourself.
- Individualized patient-care: Dr. Hyman and our staff are committed to providing a completely personalized experience. Together with Dr. Hyman, you will collaborate on a customized treatment plan tailored just for you.
To learn more about breast augmentation and your candidacy for the procedure, please call 212-517-5157 to schedule a free consultation with double board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Joshua B. Hyman. We welcome patients from throughout New York, including Manhattan, New York City, and other nearby areas.